Two goals in the last eight minutes sent Ashford to defeat on Saturday when the match looked for all the world as if it would end in a point apiece.

It was the second defeat in a row for the Tangerines, although they played far better than the previous Saturday, matching their promotion seeking opponents AFC Dunstable all the way until those last fateful minutes.  Ashford had the better of the opening exchanges but overall there wasn’t too much between the sides and the opening goal, scored by the visitors came rather out of the blue in the 37th minute.  Somehow, Tyler Tobin found himself racing from his goal and it looked as if he had successfully cleared the ball but it took a ricochet at some point and the matter ended with AFC’s Bernie Christie tapping home into an unguarded net.

It was a frustrating situation at half-time and as the game resumed, nothing too significant seemed to be happening.  That was until the 64th minute when Max Herbert, unchallenged some 10 yards outside the penalty area, unleashed an absolute blaster of a shot that gave the visiting keeper no chance.  For a good while after that Ashford were clearly on top overall, although breaking down the well organised defence of the visitors was not proving easy.

As the match meandered towards the end, a draw definitely looked on the cards but with just eight minutes left, the ball was bouncing in the box and AFC’s Jermaine Hall got his head on it to nudge his side ahead again.  Ashford had little choice now but to push men forward but it was to no avail and with just two minutes on the clock, Dunstable found themselves in the clear, leaving Hall to double his personal tally and ensure all three points for his side.

Ashford were unlucky to end up on the wrong end of a 1-3 defeat but the tendency to concede late goals was their undoing, just as it had been the previous week.

The next match is away on Tuesday evening to Hartley Wintney, when Ashford will hope to have Mitchal Gough back.  Kick-off is 7.30 p.m. and the address of the ground is Memorial Playing Fields, Green Lane, Hartley Wintney, RG27 8DL.  There is adequate parking and it is a journey of 27 miles each way along the M3 (take Junction 4 or 4A).  If there is a lot of rain as forecast, it would be sensible to check that the match is on before travelling – HW’s number is 01252 843586.

The next home match is next Saturday when Hanwell Town will provide the opposition.

The Ladies got back on track on Sunday, with a 3-1 win over Brentford Ladies, whilst the Under-18’s are due to be at home this evening (Monday) against Staines Town U18 in the Ryman Youth League, kick-off 7.45 p.m.

There are various events coming up shortly.  On Friday 26 January we have a quiz in the clubhouse.  It is just £3 per person and teams should be of 2-6 people.  We need at least one team from each section of the club and any visiting clubs who would like to enter are very welcome.  (Just phone 07956 930719 to enter).  It is intended as a fun evening although it is likely we will have prizes for the winning sides and bar offers on the night.

We also have planned an “end of winter” party in February and for the Ladies, a Hen Night, probably on Friday 2 March.  That will be strictly no men (other than the performers, of course).  Details on these two events to follow.

Forthcoming Events

21 Apr 2018
03:00PM -
Evo-Stik League South v Hartley Wintney (H)
22 Apr 2018
10:30AM - 05:00PM
Middlesex FA Sunday Intermediate Cup Final
28 Apr 2018
03:00PM -
Evo-Stik League South v AFC Rushden & Diamonds (a)
10 May 2018
07:30PM -
Annual General Meeting
02 Jun 2018
11:00AM -
Junior Presentation Day and Evening
09 Jun 2018
09:00AM - 09:00PM
Junior Tournament