On a very wet and very windy evening, both Ashford and Marlow did their best to combat the elements and at times produced a fairly decent match considering the weather.  Ashford’s pitch also stood up to the test well, with no standing water appearing at any time, thanks to the gravel underneath and the drainage pipes underneath the pitch and of course, the hard work of those responsible.

The game was decided by a four goal burst by the Tangerines within the space of 11 minutes in the second half.  Marlow scored the first and last goals leaving the final scoreline 4-2 in Ashford’s favour.

The visitors had the better of the elements in the first half although it was doubtful if they were of great advantage.  Nevertheless it was Marlow who went ahead with a fairly bizarre goal direct from a corner kick taken by Charlie Barton.  Keeper Tyler Tobin seemed to have dealt with the wickedly swerving kick well enough, seemingly catching it cleanly on his goal line but the relevant assistant deemed that it had crossed the line.  Just eight minutes had passed but neither side were able to penetrate during the remainder of the half.

The half time break saw the wind and rain ever more prominent and Ashford were starting to knock on the door.  A hard pressed Marlow defence held out until the 57th minute when Ashford were awarded a penalty for a trip on Alex Fisher.  The visitors disputed it but there was no changing Mr. Simpson’s mind and Fisher made no mistake to bring the sides level, after a long delay while Marlow keeper Simon Grant decided he needed to take his boots off and put them on again.  It was quite an interesting spot of gamesmanship but he was wasting his time with the ice cool Fisher waiting calmly until he was ready.

Ashford tails were up and Marlow suddenly had no answer as the goalsy piled up.  Just three minutes after levelling, a superb square ball from Jack Beadle freed up Tommy Brunton who shot powerfully from the edge of the area.  Marlow keeper Simon Grant was able to push it out but only to Dan Fleming who hit the back of the net with gusto.

Just three minutes later it was 3-1 as another crisp movement ended with the excellent James Cottee hammering home another full blooded effort that hit the underside the bar and bounced in.  To emphasise their domination at that point, the fourth goal came just five minutes later when another excellent move saw Scott Weight back flicking the ball in.

The chances continued to accrue but Marlow steadied the boat a little and with Ashford taking their foot off the gas, it was the visitors who reduced the arrears on 82 minutes from a deflected free kick off the wall, scored by Kelvin Bossman.

Another free kick moments afterwards came in dangerously but it was dealt with and Ashford saw the match out for their second home win in three days and a jump into 7th place in the table.

Next up is an away trip to Aylesbury United on Saturday and they are ground sharing at Chesham United this season.  There will be more on this one later in the week.