Ashford scooped up three more points on Saturday, beating Hayes & Yeading in the first ever league match between the clubs, by four goals to nil.  The result along with others saw the Tangerines nicely tucked in, in 4th place, with matches in hand on the teams above them.

Ashford have made a habit of scoring early goals lately and this match followed the same pattern, with Jack Beadle notching after just four minutes.  He picked the ball up on the left, deceived two opponents and got a low shot off which found its way into the left hand corner of the net.

Immediately after this H & Y enjoyed their best period of the match and the home defence was at full strength for a while one shot in particular whistling just over the bar.  The visitors then had the ball in the net but after a considerable delay it was ruled offside, much to the annoyance of the goodly gathering of Hayes supporters behind the goal who let referee Ellsmore know what they thought of the decision.   With plenty of children in the ground, it has to be said that the language of one or two supporters was way over the top although it certainly looked a controversial decision.

The next significant moment came though when Ashford doubled the lead on 25 minutes.  It was against the overall run of play at that stage but once again, after good work by Dan Fleming, it was Beadle whose pressing led to him robbing a defender and swivelling to send his effort home.  From that moment, the visitors, it has to be said, looked a beaten team.

Ashford have not always defended a two goal lead very well but there were no such problems this time and the third goal came on 57 minutes when Alex Fisher sent in a superb free kick from the left for Max Webb to rise above everyone and power home a header, to open his account for the season.

Ten minutes later there was a set back as Ashford keeper Tyler Tobin was injured in a nasty collision and he had to leave the field with a large cut to the face.  For the first time ever, evergreen skipper Russell Canderton took over the gloves and, despite the incident giving the visitors some renewed momentum, he was rarely troubled and looked more than competent on the few occasions he was called into action.

Indeed as the game drew to a close, with nine additional minutes signalled, it was the Tangerines who scored to go four up.  Once again it was a combination between Fisher and Webb that did the trick.  This time it was a free kick from midfield and the unmarked Webb once again was the first to react as he glanced a delicate header over the keeper.

It’s cup action again next, on Tuesday evening, when Ashford will visit Wembley FC in the 1st Round of the Middlesex Senior Cup, to see who goes through to meet Barnet in the 2nd Round.  Kick-off is 7.45 p.m. and there will be more on the web site tomorrow about this game.

The Ladies are actually at home this afternoon, not away as first thought, against Whyteleafe Ladies in the Capital Counties Cup, the junior version of which they won last season.  Kick-off is 2.00 p.m.

Forthcoming Events

02 Jun 2018
11:00AM -
Junior Presentation Day and Evening
09 Jun 2018
09:00AM - 09:00PM
Junior Tournament