Ashford secured three more points on Saturday with a 4-2 victory away to Uxbridge, who had stood 4th in the table before the game.

Once again the Tangerines made an excellent start to the match going ahead in the 2nd minute.  Scott Weight lived up to his name with a deftly weighted through pass to Jack Beadle, whose fierce angled drive gave home keeper Paul McCarthy little chance.

On an excellent surface, Ashford’s passing game looked as if it might bring further dividends but it was Uxbridge who scored the next goal on 19 minutes when Beadle committed a rather clumsy foul just outside the area and an excellent free kick from Luke Warner-Eley found the net.

Ashford were still looking stronger though and just ten minutes later Mark Bitmead restored the lead when he wasn’t shut down and a fine run ended with another unstoppable effort.  Not to be outdone was strike partner Dan Fleming who latched on to a free kick from Bitmead soon afterwards, swivelled and unleashed a cross shot which found the net for a 3-1 lead.

There was no further scoring before half-time and for a while in the second period, the home side mounted a determined come-back.  With Russell Canderton showing all his experience at the back though, along with Samad Kazi, who was everywhere, Uxbridge were unable to make any kind of breakthrough and Ashford’s 4th goal arrived just past the hour mark.  It was a penalty taken by Alex Fisher after Bitmead had been brought down in the act of scoring by McCarthy.  It might have been worse for the custodian but referee Donellan explained afterwards that, as Bitmead had taken a slightly diagonal tract as he went to round the keeper, he saw no need to issue a card of any colour.  Without a doubt, other referees would have taken a different view but in the end it made little difference, although the home side did manage to pull one back on 76 minutes through Dylan Kearney, which made life a little more uncomfortable for the visitors.  Uxbridge were unable though to make any further headway and Ashford ended with a two goal margin of victory, which saw them jump six places in the table to 5th place.

There were several pleasing aspects to Ashford’s play, not least the performance of subs Jabir Laraba and Yah-Ya El-Kabouche, both of whom have found themselves having to spend a lot of time on the bench during Ashford’s invigorating start to the season.  They have earned the praise of the management during this period with their patience and professionalism and both showed up well when they came on.

Once again there is no midweek match, so the next outing is away to Marlow next Saturday in the 2nd Qualifying Round of the FA Cup, more of which to come later in the week.  The Ladies are without a match tomorrow whilst the Under-18’s, still trying to find their feet after largely coming from Sunday junior football last season, will travel to Camberley Town on Thursday evening, kick-off 7.45 p.m. for a Ryman Youth League game.

Forthcoming Events

02 Jun 2018
11:00AM -
Junior Presentation Day and Evening
09 Jun 2018
09:00AM - 09:00PM
Junior Tournament